Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Singing in the Car

Dinner on a cozy Fall night with wine and good conversation. Hearts open. Safety to reveal.

Afterwards, I left for home engulfed by fog so thick, I could barely see a few feet in front of me. This made driving difficult, maybe dangerous, but the roads were quiet at this time of night and I drove slowly through the mist.

I resumed listening to B sides from Alanis Morissette. Unlike most of my friends who listen/ed to her, she grew exponentially in favor with me post "Jagged Little Pill". While she became less and less a central figure in the music world, her subsequent albums selling significantly below "Pill", she pursued things like working with the Sisters of Mercy in India and I found a profound kindred in her lyrics. "All I Really Want", my favorite song on "Pill", was a foreshadowing of the type of lyric that would connect most deeply with me.

I recall my first hearing of "Thank You" before her second album was released. I was in San Francisco with YWAM before I moved here, and a music loving friend from LA had moved up here and given me the single he got as a promotional CD at work. I sat in my dorm room at the YWAM base listening and crying. It became my theme song for the months with YWAM in SF and overseas in Thailand and Vietnam. She would forever change for me after this.

As I drove, I listened to the B sides from "Under Rug Swept", some of them as much loved songs for me as those on her albums.

"Unprodigal Daughter" - a favorite musically and lyrically so freeing and accurate, though slightly hostile. "This plane cannot fly fast enough". My passion rises with it's cries.

"Offer" - "Is it my calling to keep on when I'm unable/ Is it my job to be selfless extraordinaire..." I harmonize and release, wishing for the freedom and release of the pressure to be all things to all people that I impose upon myself.

"Fear of Bliss" - "Sometimes I feel it's all just too big to be true/ I sabotage myself for fear of what my bigness could do..." The uncertainty, the self doubt, the hesitation, the impossibility... fear of what is bigger than myself. My vision is too big for my capability.

"Purgatorying" - a favorite. Stays in my head so that I am singing it in the shower and at work and while walking around the city. Haunting. "Entertain me for the tenth hour in a row again/ Anesthetize me with your gossip and any random anecdotes and/ Fill every hour with activity or ear candy..."

I sang through the fog at the top of my lungs. I harmonized. As always, the dark brought my true self out. No holding back. I was understood and expressed through song, once again. A lifelong thread.

Drove over the hill from the Sunset to my 'hood with the downtown skyline obliterated by oceans of fog. But I knew it was still there. Just as I knew there were wings on my back and limitless possibility in my spirit. Anything is possible.

2 comments:

mrstumpf said...

Aw, your words are sweet and revealing. I had no idea you were in the clouds when you came home that night. I also didn’t know you were literally in the clouds (the thick fog). I don’t like to hear that, but I guess you are safe so I can’t worry now.

Drew Miller said...

Hey Gin

Thanks for a lovely, insightful share. I too find much solace and freedom in the car. It is there that I laugh, cry, sing, and pray much more uninhibited than in most other settings. Such wonderful freedom, though I am also saddened by it, for I long to let loose in such a way with another, especially my wife. This happens so rarely for me. But, I keep trying and asking and praying for courage to step out and the willingness to follow. Loved your Alanis comments. Listening to the "Crash" score right now... truly, truly amazing! I'll have to burn you a copy. Some of the year's best music. I love you and miss you.