Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Favorite Films of 2007... and while I'm at it, 2006

There are still a couple big ones I need to see (e.g. "Diving Bell & the Butterfly" & "Atonement"), but based on what I've seen thus far, here are are my Top Ten Films for 2007, in a general, not exact, order (despite being a huge Coen Bros. fan for years, I did not love "No Country for Old Men"):

1. Once (simple, sweet, sublime... can't stop listening to that soundtrack)
2. Amazing Grace (could be called "slightly formulaic", but at core is sincere, inspiring)
3. Away from Her (gorgeous, bittersweet... best film on aging I've seen)
4. The Kite Runner (the book is better, yes, but the film is still haunting & powerful)
5. There Will Be Blood (the ending left me empty & irritated, but what a ride meanwhile! DDLewis' best performance, which is saying a lot; P.T. Anderson, still a favorite director)
6. Paris Je'Taime (love vignettes format, ranging from nice to brilliant)
7. Darjeeling Limited (atmospheric, funny, rich - Anderson in fine form!)
8. Juno (didn't love it as much as everyone else but still found it delightful)
9. Reign Over Me (not a perfect film, but with true heart & humor)
10. Bridge to Terabithia (took me back to my childhood & made me believe again)

Because I didn't put my list out there for 2006 (though I've kept my own lists over 15 years), and as it was a good film year, I'll share that, too:

1. Pan's Labyrinth
(brilliant, disturbing, magical, haunting; a picture of the afterlife, death, trust & faith through allegory and the eyes of a child)
2. The Lives of Others (rarely do we see a film on former USSR, especially one this incredible) 3. Romance and Cigarettes (saw it at SF Film Festival -plus Q&A with director, John Turturro- though it didn't come out until 2007; hilarious, campy and heartfelt)
4. Little Miss Sunshine (the not-for-kids family film; overhyped but nonetheless wonderful)
5. Little Children (unique, upsetting, but what a message! Makes me weep at the end)
6. Babel (expected not to care but ended up being moved by the images and stories)
7. Science of Sleep (the ethereal Gondry goes places no one else dares)
8. The Fountain (facing death and the fight for life head on; it's draining but worthwhile)
9. The Painted Veil (lush, deep and better than I expected with fabulous performances)
10. Thank You for Smoking (clever, anti-hero kind of comedy)

Currently reading : An Illuminated Life: Belle da Costa Greene's Journey from Prejudice to Privilege By Heidi Ardizzone

No comments: