Wednesday, January 17, 2007

goodbyes

some friends touch your life for merely a season or in one area of your life... others, much fewer, are lifelong and touch multiple areas.

my girl has returned to australia and there is a gap where her sweet spirit, refreshing authenticity and realism, truly unconditional acceptance and "cheering on" were. not to mention one who loves food, writing, poetry and beauty, and sought those out with me. i have a wealth of friends here and around the world - have connected with too many people to count, in one way or another. i have my lifelong kindreds, about four of them, who are the closest of the close, spread around the country, anita being the longest and most kindred of friendships over my lifetime.

but when a precious friend is lost where you live, there is a gap, a hole, that yet another long distance relationship won't assuage. there is strength from all too rare support that disappears. those nights of long meals and wine, heart to heart talks, shared poetry, tears, favorite films and shows... will have to end. no person is replaceable. there is room for more but there cannot be a replacement.

here's to the time we had and to those who have remained faithful over the years.

Currently watching : The Illusionist

A poem for Kristy before she leaves, 1-15-07
Golden
in smile and heart
She conveys openness
through arms of acceptance
believing
when you cannot
believe
in your own goodness,
cheering on your plans
cradling pains
sharing hopes

Unexpectedly she came
as a supporter of what is most dear
a ray of light in dark night
a partner in creative dreams
a reminder of who you are
when it feels as if no one can see

She is a gift of God
on that will never be forgotten

2 comments:

quip and quill said...

thanks for mentioning me, dearest friend. you are and will remain "my diana... of the lake of shining waters... as long as the sun and moon shall endure." i feel your pain as yet another meaningful relationship takes on a transformation... which distance can't assuage. i'm thinking of you today.

Kristy said...

I cannot tell you how much you mean to me or how much I miss you. I am reading through blurry teared eyes and such a pang of longing to be with you again sharing all your wonderousness and love and getting passionate about everything under the sun. You have left an mark on my life that will never be removed. I love you so dearly my darling kindred, this is not goodbye, no goodbye Ok even if it feels like the fucking distance is enveloping us there will not be a goodbye. I will love you forever